Community Volunteers & Assistants
With our new website launch we are working hard to get the Community Volunteer and Assistant to Photographer applications up and running. We appreciate your patience. If you have any questions at this time, please email our Volunteer Coordinators and in the meantime, to apply, please fill out the application here as a Digital Retouch Artist (noting you do use Photoshop, even if you do not) as well as either include mention in your Volunteer Reason that you are actually applying as a CV or Assistant including photographer sponsor or for quicker processing, email our Review Committee, with the subject “Community Volunteer or Assistant Application” to let them know you have applied but do not wish to actually be a Digital Retouch Artist so that she can update to the appropriate Community Volunteer or Assistant role and process your application. There are no fees for the application however initial volunteer dues of $35 apply when accepted in order to begin training.
Please read above instructions before clicking “Apply Now”.
Assistant to Photographer is a non-photography role. They are not authorized to take photos at sessions however can be a valuable asset holding lighting equipment and working with nursing staff and families. This is an excellent position for budding photographers who want to serve but need some practice and would like to help build skill by shadowing an Affiliated Photographer. It is recommended that anyone interested in applying as an Assistant to Photographer should first find a local Affiliated Photographer to sponsor you as an Assistant otherwise it is possible you will go under-utilized. Assistants are welcome to also pursue additional roles of the Community Volunteer.
As a Community Volunteer, there are many roles you can pursue:
- Dispatch session requests (either locally or on National Dispatch Team for other areas if your area does not utilize dispatch and you’d like to make an impact nationally)
- Answer phones professionally and sensitively
- Familiar with the NILMDTS website and able to navigate easily
- Utilize timely communication methods for dispatching session out to available photographers
- Assisting hospitals with utilizing Retouching Services & Medical Affiliate Program in the event that a photographer is not available
- Make sure all calls are logged in the Volunteer Account for all requests that were either dispatched, declined, or provided other options
- Identify and contact photographers and digital retouch artists
- Share NILMDTS posts on social media and beyond (community boards, photography clubs, online groups) – Special attention during Recruit a Volunteer Months (February & September) and National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance (October)
- Represent NILMDTS at local photography clubs, conferences, and conventions and follow-up with interested contacts
- Assist with application process
- Plan special thank you’s to hospitals, especially during Nurses Appreciation Week (May)
- Check in monthly with hospitals to maintain any updated contact list and program documents
- Assist Area Coordinator with volunteer renewal reminders
- Planning of volunteer appreciation activities & team events (Volunteer Appreciation Week in April)
- Maintain the local area’s Facebook group (if applicable) with updates from official NILMDTS Facebook page links and NILMDTS Volunteer Facebook group information